Estimated reading time: 3 minutes
In a nutshell, digitization means automating manual processes in order to:
- Increase efficiency;
- Save money;
- Reduce the number of errors; and
- Take advantage of new technical possibilities.
No digitization strategy?
More and more contemporary influencers emphasize the importance of digitization, discussing more complex concepts such as artificial intelligence (AI), internet of things (IOT), big data, disruption, and so on.
It can be challenging to get into these things while running your business at the same time, but there is no way around them. We must embrace digitization.
Digitization and what I’d do as a business owner
As a business owner, I’d take digitization as a necessary component for the growth and success of my business. To make the most of the advantages that digitization can bring, these are specific steps that I will do:
1. I’ll devote two to three hours a day to reading and learning about digitalization. I don’t need to be a social media expert or a software developer, but I will immerse myself in reading various materials, articles, and discussions to understand what can or cannot be done, especially in the field of my business.
2. I will hire a digital manager or marketer who is fully knowledgeable on digital trends. The digital manager should have a good technical understanding―doesn’t have to be at a developer's level― but sufficient working knowledge to speak to developers, software consultants, and technical individuals. In addition, they should have a good understanding of digital marketing. Both qualifications are equally important. Knowledge of your business industry is an advantage, but not necessary.
3. In collaboration with the digital manager, I will make a digitization strategy for my company. Here, I have to get the low-hanging fruits first or the easiest ones to do, like SEO, Google Ads, or Facebook advertising. Be careful not to rush into conceptualizing a huge project to begin with.
4. The next thing I will do is find a software development company that can do all the development tasks—to execute the digitization—and any graphics-related work needed.
5. If my business is at a level where I can afford to employ, I will hire a full-time software developer to solve small technical tasks that appear all the time. Then I’ll collaborate with an external supplier to do the major tasks. The developer I will hire can also validate the information I will receive from the company I’ve worked with, as well as assist in creating development specifications and the like. Lastly, having both a full-time developer and an external supplier will make me much less vulnerable as a business owner: If the developer resigns, I have my supplier to back me up and vice versa. If I wish to terminate the services of my supplier, I have my developer to continue assisting me with the technical part of digitization.
Don’t be left behind
There are many ways to get started with the digitization process, but one thing is for sure: all businesses are going through it, including your competitors. You shouldn’t be left behind.
1902 Software Development has developed and automated more than 1,200 projects over the last 23 years. If you have questions about digitization, or if you’re looking for a software development company who can help you digitize a part of your business process, we can help you with your project. Fill out the contact form below, and I will get back to you immediately.