Conversions start with a well-developed system
Our technical audit checks the core of your website, webshop, or app to get to the root of possible errors or issues that affect your system’s performance. You’ll get a comprehensive report of all the errors we’ve found along with recommendations on how they can be fixed to help you optimize your site or app.
We do technical audit (including system core checking) for Magento, Umbraco, WordPress, apps, and other .NET- and PHP-based systems only. This is because these are the systems that we develop for and thus have an in-depth technical understanding about. If we evaluate technical work done on a system or framework we don’t have mastery of, the result will be questionable.
You can get our system core checking and technical audit as a standalone package, or combine it with other review packages (Code review, SEO and speed audit, and UI/UX review) for a more in-depth review of your system. Check out the different packages here.
System core checking
- We check the version of the CMS/programming language used on your site or app.
- We check the security patches installed on your site using different tools. (Note that we are limited to the CMS-related security patches and checking if you are using the latest version of the modules you have installed). We will not perform other security checks beyond that — for example, we will not check server ports’ access, or if the server is vulnerable to hacking. We are not a security company and therefore will not be able to do a full security check on your infrastructure.)
- We check the server setup and the server’s caching mechanism (e.g., PHP OPcache, Redis, Memcache, etc.) and provide our observations and recommendations.
- We do a stress test on the system, where we deliberately push the system until its breaking point in order to identify its capacity.
- We also do a load test, where we test the system’s response when the number of users it's designed for are using it at the same time. We do this by looking at your Google Analytics data and checking the most visited pages, average daily traffic, and peak traffic/usage hours to determine the testing parameters, e.g., which URLs to test, how many simulated users to test with, and the best time of day to perform the test so as not to affect your normal operation.
- We identify the active and inactive third-party plugins installed on your website or webshop, including shipping and payment methods. We provide recommendations (e.g., if there are better alternatives for the existing plugins that you have).
- We evaluate the theme used on your site from a technical point of view.
- We check the hosting setup (for this, we will need to have your hosting credentials) and provide our observations and recommendations.
- We check if your backup can be restored and run. For this, we will need to have server SSH access or access to your hosting control panel (or a full copy of your backup, since many hosting companies do not have a hosting panel or will not allow third parties SSH access to a server). If we cannot have either, we recommend that you verify with your hosting company if a full backup is running for your system and share the answers with us.
- Note: For apps, the steps and coverage for checking may vary as each app is built differently. We need to get to know your app to determine exactly what to check and how to review it.
We test your site or app’s backend to make sure that all functions are working smoothly (the actual checking depends on the features of the system) e.g.,
- Creation, modification, and deletion of posts, pages, blocks, and forms
- Media library functionalities (uploading, viewing, deleting files)
- Creation, modification, and deletion of customers and customer groups
- Checking of invoice, shipment, and credit memos
- Creation, modification, and deletion of products
- Creation, modification, and deletion of catalog and shopping cart price rules
- Generation of reports
- Import/export settings
- Cache management setting (e.g. full-page caching)
- System logs and errors
- And others, as applicable
Aside from the items above, we also:
- Check backend modules (if any) to determine if there are explicit errors
- Check third-party integrations - We identify and check if the third-party integrations in the website or webshop are correctly set up based on best practices or from our own experience. Note that we will not check the integration data and the data flow, because it requires full access to the third-party system and familiarity with the business rules.
- Do other specific tests as applicable and as requested
Technical audit report
After we've done the technical audit, we hand you a document that compiles and details all our findings as well as recommendations on how you can fix them. The document also includes suggestions to help you further optimize your project based on best practices and our own experience with development projects.
Once the review is done, we can also discuss via Google Meet with you and your developers, the concerns we found during testing.
You can take this document to your developer or another company, but you can also have our development team fix the issues.
See how we can help by contacting us today.