What is custom software?
A custom software is a system or application built with a specific set of requirements, usually addressing a business’ unique needs — as opposed to off-the-shelf software systems that serve a more general purpose and are designed to cater to a wider variety of business cases.
It can be as simple as plugins for CMS like WordPress or Umbraco, extensions for ecommerce platforms like Magento, or add-ons for desktop applications like Microsoft Office. It can also be customized systems for businesses from small to enterprise levels, complex ecommerce or booking systems, and web, mobile, or desktop applications.
What 1902 Software offers
Development of ASP.NET, ASP.NET Core, or PHP frameworks (Laravel, CodeIgniter, or Phalcon)
- Web applications
- Windows applications
- Mobile apps for iOS and Android
- Custom plugins for WordPress, Magento, and Umbraco
- Microsoft Office add-ons
- Post-project support handled by the original development team
- Takeover of existing systems for maintenance
- Updates based on browser and operating system upgrades
- UI and UX
- Speed and performance
Why choose 1902 Software?
- We have more than 23 years of experience in developing customized software solutions for customers in various industries.
- We have a dedicated team of professional developers in web (PHP and ASP.NET) and mobile app (native and Xamarin), as well as designers, testers and system administrators.
- You will have full ownership of your system's source code after the end of the project.
- You work with a reputable software company, with 98% customer satisfaction.
When do you need custom software development?
Custom software development is not usually the first choice for a new project, since most of the time, you can find an existing system that can already cover your requirements with little to no customizations needed. So when should you choose to develop custom software? Here are some factors to consider.
Highly specialized requirements
Standard off-the-shelf systems are often built with only the common features that most businesses need, which is why more often than not, custom software is used for internal applications than client-facing systems. If you need a more specific functionality and you can’t find an existing system that has it, then you need to have it custom-developed.
Extended functionality for off-the-shelf systems
Custom software development is not only for standalone applications, but can also be for extensions or add-ons to off-the-shelf systems. One example is add-ons to Microsoft Office applications such as Word, Excel, or PowerPoint—you most likely won’t need a full custom-developed word processor or spreadsheet, but you may require specific features that are not available out-of-the-box. In this case, you can develop an add-on to extend the standard functionalities of these systems.
Established workflow and processes
Every new system has a learning curve. By developing custom software, it enables you to adjust the system based exactly on your existing workflow and processes, lessening the time that your team members need to get familiar with the system.
Custom software development takes more time and therefore costs higher, which is why it’s always better to go with a ready-made system—if you can find one. But you also have to be careful with purchasing a system and eventually making a lot of customizations down the road, as this could end up with you spending a lot more than if you had a custom software developed in the first place.